Sunday, January 11, 2009

germany

sorry for the lack of posts for the past few days. i currently do not have the internet. so right now i am using a germans computer. the problem with the computer that i m using though is the the keyboard is funky. where i would have the y it is where the z is and i cant have the shift button. so please give it time til i can get my computer.

the flight from pitt to washington: not bad for my first flight. it was quite interesting. got to dc and was chillin somewhat hungry and so i ate some subway. then got on the united plane to the brussles airport. long flight but it was cool because they brought me something to drink 4 or 5 times and then brought me a snack, dinner, and breakfast. upon arrival there we then went to hamburg. on that flight they fed me again a ham sandwich.

getting off the plane we waited a little bit for mike and bethany to get there then we rode a bus to the hamburg train station. once getting to the train station jan[my german buddy] met us and took us to the train in which we had to run to because of the train was getting ready to leave.

going back to the last plane ride in brusles. i was flagged and searched. there the guy touched me all over and had me unbutton my pants i guess thats how they say welcome to europe?

ok so we now get to lüneburg where i ride the bus to my new flatt for 4 months. not a bad place pics will come.


we then went back into the city because we needed to get some food. so because they have aldi i was able to eat! it was a pretty good deal with a loaf of bread onlz .49€ and 1.5l bottle of water .19€. building wise very old buildings with a lot of character. i really like the buildings quite nice.

i have found that almost everyone has a bike walks or rides the bus. only some people have cars and they drive the cars crazier than in new york city. their cars are basically square little boxes. which is a golfkart basically.

a few times i have been on the bus and i must have a sign on me that says hey please look at me and talk to me [in german]. so juliann has been close by because currently we have a lot of group events and she has been like an intermediary explaining to me what the person said and then telling me what to say. it works quite well because this way i learn how to say what i am saying then get a reply and learn how to hear the reply. so the bus is quite cool. small talk is fun.

we got to meet the leaders of our USAC organization. they seem alright. we have had two days of information sessions. they are telling us the basics about whats going on at the university and such. they have been giving us cookies and i am taking advantage of those and eating a lot. which might not be good for my belly but they taste good.

at the uni itself almost all of the buildings are about the same. they all are brick builds about three levels. not bad.

classes start monday somewhat excited. i am liking being in a different environmnet trying to understand the language. its somewhat hard but i think it will be good for me.

more will be to come and questions about what i have done or would like to see in here hit me up

have a great start of the week!

2 comments:

  1. LOVE reading this. Please share your address so we can send you stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update Adam! I am glad to hear things are going well...and that you will able to buy food pretty cheap from Aldi...glad to know you won't go hungry! BTW...eat all the free cookies you can get! :)

    ReplyDelete