Thursday, January 22, 2009

WEEK 2

Alright so the whole plan on writing in this on Monday didn't happen. Sorry. It wasn't going to be this busy of a week then I had internet problems and such so I have been messing with that stuff all week. But the good news is that it is fix so I am good to go.

I last left off right before the international dinner and Hamburg.

So first is the International dinner. The dinner was great. I loved it. ATE A TONNNN of food, which is normal but still. The cool part was is there was a lot of students from a lot of areas that prepared food. The difference between this one and the Mount Union one is that at Mount it is all made there in their kitchen by I believe the dinning staff. The cool part about this one is that it is basically a pot-luck. Everyone brings a dish from their home country and shares it with everyone else.

If you brought a dish you got in free to this event. If you didn't you had to pay 8 Euro. Those of you that know me fairly well know that I will do a lot of things for free. And so I was thinking what in the world could I make to get in free so Juliann and I came up with the idea of Peanut Butter and Jelly. Quality choice if I do say so myself. This requires little effort and large taste. So we made 20 sandwiches (pictures on facebook) and took them to the dinner. Instead of riding the bus we decided to walk because we were worried that the bus driver would not let us on the bus. Keep in mind the temp is at this time around 32 degrees. So this uncovered bread is making its way to the university a 25-35 min walk. I don't know how many of you have had bread out in the open for fairly long periods of time but its not good for the bread. Our bread was really really hard when we got to the school. But the good news is that we got in for free.

Drinks at this were not free you had to pay 2 euro for a drink so I got myself a coke. If you brought the glass bottle back you got .50 euro back. So I was like ok that works. I finished my first Coke and then walked the glass back and got my .50euro back. Then I was like dang why don't you steal other empty bottles back and get more drinks.....and thats just what I did. I got 3 or 4 more drinks and left with an extra 6-8 dollars. Talk about a deal.

Following the dinner and entertainment was a dance. I don't really dance because I don't feel like I have "flow" but I do love to Line Dance. And ofcourse the guy wouldn't have any country but whatever. I do have to say though that Americans are much better dancers than Germans. Not hating on the Germans but like if you can keep a beat like step to the left then to the right then to left your fine. And they don't seem to be able to find that beat. And it also looked like a 12 year old dancing but it made me laugh so I had fun. Then following that I took the 25-35 min walk back at 12 am.

The next morning was Hamburg. I was pretty excited to go there because it looked pretty big from the sky when flying in. And all week we have heard stuff about it. And it was pretty cool. Because I am not from around the area I found it pretty cool that we had the 2 USAC leaders taking us around. I walked probably a good part of 15 miles that day. But we got to see city hall, go to and old burnt down church go to the top of it and see basically all of Hamburg. All of the buildings were very impressive. The size with the old look is amazing. There is so much character down every street. I have more pictures of this too on facebook. Not only the buildings but we went on a Ferry ride. This was very slow but warm which was good. The cool part was seeing all of the Harbors and such. Hamburg has a lot of ports and exports a lot of things......maybe they will export a car for me?!?!

I plan on going back to Hamburg tomorrow (friday) because we missed somethings the tour basically just showed us where everything is.

St. Pauli is there. And it is quite a ......special? place...... It is where pretty much everythinig is legal. and I mean everything.

It was very eye opening. There was even one street that was kinda blocked off. You had to go around the barrier to get in. On both side of the enterance was a sign that read "Women and 18 and Younger not allowed" Why did it read that I asked. Simple women selling themselves in the windows...NASTY!.....but that is seen as a job in the German government so ok. I guess whatever makes them happy.

This week I went to my first bar in Germany for something other than to eat. A lot of the students go out almost nightly to party. And thats just not me but I had all my hw done and it was like 730 and they were like hey were going out at 830 so i was like eh it will give me something to do. So I went out to what they call Hausbar. To me it was just a chill college frat party on a week night. But it was cool just hanging out and relaxing and talking.

Then it was 1030 and they all wanted to go to the Irish Pub....which is basically like an Americanish kinda place i guess. But I was like I got to be up at 7 for class so I am going to bounce on that maybe some other night. And so I rolled out.

Other than that my German ability is slowly coming around. I can now order food because that what we have learned but my only problem is I don't know how to say "Just Looking" so I walk into these places and they keep talking and I am like i have no idea what your saying. So i just stand there and say Nein which is German for no. Normally that works.

So I have been able to skype with my family which is totally cool. Like how sweet is our tech when we can be over a 1000 miles away and still be able to talk and see each other at the same time. It is quite cool if you ask me. Only problem is family doesn't have the cam so it is a one way talk right now but that will change.....

Alright well again any questions feel free to hit me up and I will respond asap.

other than that everyone have a safe weekend.

Just one prayer request my grandmas neighbor Ida died last night and I just ask that you drop her and her family and friends in a pray tonight.

Thanks

Love and Miss you all!!!!!

Adam

1 comment:

  1. Hi Adam! Thanks for the update. I am loaning our camera to your parents this weekend so they can skype you.

    Sounds like things are going well. Anything strange that you miss?

    Have fun!
    G

    ReplyDelete